Thursday, March 24, 2005

PyCon05

I gave my talk at PyCon05 yesterday. I surprised myself by managing to stay within the 20 minutes allocated for the talk. I even got to show "live" demos of FitNesse and Selenium. The only 2 questions I had at the end were both Selenium-related. It's clear that this tool fills a need that many people have.

Today I gave a "Lightning Talk" presentation with only 5 minutes at my disposal. I showed again a FitNesse demo testing the PyGoogle module, and 2 Selenium demos, one testing a Plone suite with the TestRunner, and the other testing a Google search in "driven" mode, using the Twisted-based implementation. I like to think that I was able to show how testing should really be done at 2 levels:
  • the business logic/API level -- represented in my demo by testing the PyGoogle code via FitNesse
  • the GUI level -- represented in my demo by testing the Google Web site via Selenium
The Lightning Talk session was really fun. People had to stay within the 5 minutes, so they had to get to the essence of what they were trying to show. It looked to me like a martial arts competition, were everybody was trying to show their "kata" moves. Most of the time, people went to a command prompt and started to type away, showing pieces of code and functionality they had been working on.

Good thing I didn't know what a PyCon Lightning Talk is, otherwise I wouldn't have dared to mingle with the masters. It was an amazing and humbling experience for me, and I'm sure an exhilarating experience for the "competitors".

No comments:

Modifying EC2 security groups via AWS Lambda functions

One task that comes up again and again is adding, removing or updating source CIDR blocks in various security groups in an EC2 infrastructur...